Hogwarts: The Final Conclusion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts: The Final Conclusion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
It is late in the summer, and as the students prepare for the new school year at Hogwarts everything seems well. Maybe a little too well....

Ancient Studies Syllabus/Lesson Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Smith
Ancient Studies Professor
Ancient Studies Professor
Kyle Smith

Ancient Studies Syllabus/Lesson Guide Empty
PostSubject: Ancient Studies Syllabus/Lesson Guide   Ancient Studies Syllabus/Lesson Guide I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:19 am

Okay, this syllabus may seem short as I will be trying to keep it simple and blunt without waffling on. Basically in this subject, you will learn about how magic has evolved from the ages. We will start with magic like that of the Egyptians, how they used magic in mummification and then the battle magic the Romans and other great ancient civilizations used.

In essence, the way I will be running my classes is that you will write either in groups or as a one-shot, the lesson yourself. I will not be posting in it unless I am owled, so you will use the lesson plans detailed below in order to create your oneshot or thread. You will have permission to GM me within reason. If you're not sure what exactly would be allowed, then just send me an owl and I'll let you know.

Also, I'll be offering Extra Credit if people feel they need it. Again, just make sure to let me know via owl, and then either I or you can start a topic in my office. Again, it can either be done one-on-one or in groups, and depending on how many people take up Extra Credit, I may put you in groups randomly.

Either way, using these two methods should mean you can either get through the class using the older method of the teacher posting something, you reply etc. Or we have it so you can write about your own parts that interest you.

But PLEASE REMEMBER: You aren't going to understand everything first time! No one can really do that with everything, so please please please make sure you stay away from the Mary-Sue border. Also, if I think your topic has been put into something a bit too much off topic, or if you've not got the idea. I'll send you/your group an owl to let them know, and suggest how to change it, if you don't, I may deduct marks and those could be the marks between a pass and a fail.

I'm not going to give you any extreme specifics for this, as I think it's best as something you can make up yourself, keeps it interesting, right? However I will put up some guidelines for those who might need help.

Okay, I know this has probably ended up being quite annoying to read so far, yes? Well at least now we're near the end. As long as you've read all this so far, then you know what you need to know. However, if you want Guidelines, I'm afraid you will nee to keep reading.

Guidelines:
Lesson One: The Magic of Mummification. How the Egyptians mummified the body, and also what effects it had.
(Think of spirits, and what they believed would happen, just take it to a different meaning if you need to, a good example might be King Tutankhamen's tomb, as they believe the diseases some faced were due to a curse.)

Lesson Two: Ritual Magic. Pentagrams, insignias, chalk drawings on the floor, all kinds of Rituals that your mind can think of.
(Think of summonings, Wards etc. Don't go trying to summon Dementors or any other powerful creatures please. If you're not sure about a certain creature, let me know and I'll give you my ruling on it.)

Lesson Three: Battle Magic. Runes, Symbols, Enchantments. Try and go for the Romans here, weaponry, Siege, use all these to show what they might have done. And then think about the defensive as well. Things like Armour and Walls and Towers and such. (Please don't try to go into the modern age so much, it's Ancient Studies remember, so stick away from AK47s and such.)

Lesson Four: Elemental Magic. This is as simple as it sounds. Again. Please do NOT go too far with it. You're not to flood the classroom or burn it down... Nor are you to suck the air out of it or turn it all into stone. However I won't give much in the way of advice here. It's a pretty broad spectrum, so just use your imaginations.
Back to top Go down

Ancient Studies Syllabus/Lesson Guide
Page 1 of 1