Hogwarts: The Final Conclusion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts: The Final Conclusion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
It is late in the summer, and as the students prepare for the new school year at Hogwarts everything seems well. Maybe a little too well....

Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- Empty
PostSubject: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Aluin sat on his desk, with legs crossed as he waited for his class to get started. Once students started sitting down he counted, looked at his watch and once it was time, his wand was waved and the door slammed. "Good morning everyone!" He yelled loudly so it echoed off the walls. "I hope you're ready to get the year started off right." He was sure he was already causing head aches and he didn't give a damn.

"WAKE. UP!" He shouted and slipped off the desk and looked around his class. "Let me read you these rules I've come up with...

1. NO LATENESS! I won't accept it and you will lose points.
2. No goofing off or showing off, because you'll just look like a moron and... lose points.
3. I will be available in my office when I'm not in class if you need help.
4. I DO have homework. Deal. Get it done.

That's it for now. So introduce yourselves to me, tell me why you're here, and try and make it worthwhile for me to hear."

Last edited by Aluin Destan on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Christian White
Adult
Adult
Christian White

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Christian entered the classroom, his head down purposely not looking at the man at the front of the room. He listened to Al-Professor Destan speak, his hands fiddling with a quill, his eyes not moving from the top of his desk.

Christian sighed softly when Professor Destan asked them all to introduce themselves. Raising his hand, he finally looked up. "I'm Christian White." He began, keeping his voice strong. "And I'm here because I want to be an Auror. So I can rid the world of all the sick, twisted, scum that killed my father." He said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Sally had followed in right behind Christian. Destan was her head of house but still she knew not to look the man in the eyes. She took her seat a few rows back from Christian glad she came in time. She raised her hand hoping Destan would accept her lousy excuse.

"My name is Sally Ruby." She said after Christian had finished. "And I want to be a potioneer. I find that potions are quite interesting and I want to master them." She finished off.
Back to top Go down
Keegan J. Blacknight
Adult
Adult
Keegan J. Blacknight

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Keegan walked in right behind Sally. Professor Destan was head of his house so one wrong screw up and he was done for. Taking his seat beside Sally he raised his hand after Sally finished. "I'm Keegan Blacknight, I'm here because I want to be auror when I get older and I'm also quite talented at Potions and find them interesting."said Keegan taking his seat. "God that was lame."Keegan thought to himself.
Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:41 pm

"SHUT UP!" He yelled. "Potions are NOT lame, and being interested in them is just a bonus. I'm happy to help whoever needs it, but what I will not take are people who are only here because it's a requirement. Or to get vengeance." By this point he was basically talking to Christian. Especially since he was kind of big in the 'dark side' community. Not that anyone knew. Most people who 'knew' him could swear he was good enough for the Order.

"Ms. Ruby what do you know about potions? What do you know about the stuff you want to work with for the rest of your life?" He asked and then put his hands on her desk and stared down at her. "Tell me..." He said and smiled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Sally gulped she knew she should have looked into the potioneer job before coming to class. "Well, I know very little but I've always been very interested in potions and am very eager to learn more this year." She said truthfully. "I know about love potions, hate potions, poly juice potion, oh and my most favorite kind the truth potion." She said smiling.
Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm

"Veritaserum..." He said and grinned. "I don't know if we'll get to that but it is a very interesting potion and VERY tricky. The only reason it's so intriguing is when you've been under the potions spell." He then moved to reach in his pocket and pulled out a tiny vial. "Veritaserum, it's yours." He said and smiled. "One point to Slytherin for being completely honest." He said and then grinned. "Anyone else have something to say. Come on! Get it all out before this class becomes, dare I say it, educational!!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Sally beamed as Destan gave her Veritaserum. She pocketed into her robes and looked at Keegan shocked. "Thank you sir." She said before falling slient to listen to the teacher again. She wanted to see if Christian or Keegan had anything to say.
Back to top Go down
Serena Cole
Healer
Healer
Serena Cole

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Serena walked into the Potions' classroom after Keegan and took a seat before Professor Destan started speaking. He was quite... lively. She could tell that this would be more of her more interesting classes.

After Professor Destan called for more people to speak, Serena started to stand when she thought better of it and just raised her hand. When she was sure she caught his attention she rose.

"I'm Serena Cole, sir. I'm taking Potions because I want to become a healer. I want to be able to help people and know what the most beneficial potion is depending on their ailment. I want to learn as much as you can teach me about potions, so I can be better prepared." She promptly sat down when she was finished.
Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 am

"Very nice, Ms. Cole. I like how everybody seems to have a reason other than it being a requirement in this class. I'm glad you all have a goal." He said and then smiled. "This lesson we're actually going to be helping out some of our students who have discretion, and your defense professor. We'll be working on their wolfsbane potions for the year. Does anyone know about this potion or what it does?"
Back to top Go down
Serena Cole
Healer
Healer
Serena Cole

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 am

Serena rose her hand hesitantly, she didn't know much, but she knew the basics. "I read somewhere that Wolfsbane potion will allow the drinker, who is victim to lycantrophy, to keep their mind during transformation. That's all I really know on the subject, Professor."

She knew that probably wasn't what he was looking for, but she didn't really know much else about it. Just a few things that she learned here and there from reading different books. Wolfsbane wasn't a really common potion, as it was only beneficial to a small portion of the wizarding world. It was exciting that Professor Destan was allowing them to the opportunity to brew such a complex potion.
Back to top Go down
Gwen Cooper
Ravenclaw Student
Ravenclaw Student
Gwen Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Gwen winced at the loudness but listened with interest.
This was promising,
"I´m Gwen Cooper,I´m here because I´m going to be a hitwitch." she stated simply. There was no *Want* in her life anymore. She knew what she wanted and she knew what to do to get it.
End of.
Back to top Go down
Keegan J. Blacknight
Adult
Adult
Keegan J. Blacknight

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Keegan raised his hand as well for knew quite a bit about the wolfbane potion but he frowned when Serena rasied her hand first. "Maybe he call on me first to finish the rest for him."Keegan thought to himself. Keegan loved potions he could a whole day reading a potion book for he found the art of Potion exciting.
Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 am

Aluin nodded and smiled. "Good! One point to Gryffindor for Serena, do you have anything to add Mr. Blacknight?" He asked and smiled. "You guys are such a good class! Keep it going!"
Back to top Go down
Keegan J. Blacknight
Adult
Adult
Keegan J. Blacknight

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:52 am

Keegan nodded. "Yes sir, the The Wolfsbane Potion is an innovative and complex potion that relieves, but does not cure, the symptoms of lycanthropy. The main ingredient is wolfsbane also referred to as aconite or monkshood it was invented by Damocles. Individuals affected with lycanthropy drink the potion prior to the full moon, only their bodies will transform into a wolf, rather than making the full transformation into a werewolf; they will retain control over their actions. It is a complicated recipe and must be drunk once per day in the week leading up to the full moon. "said Keegan.

Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 am

"Very good Keegan! However the new potion that masters have found, they only need to drink it the day of, it's more powerful that way. We will actually be making both potions in this lesson, and I'll explain why both are good options. Anything else to add anyone?" He asked and grinned. "Good. Now, get out your notes, remember that at the end of the lesson I will ask for all of your notes and you must turn them in for points. So, while you get out your notes, I want you to think about wolfsbane, why it's needed, and I want you to write a good paragraph or so about why we have it and why you think it's our first potion of the year."
Back to top Go down
Serena Cole
Healer
Healer
Serena Cole

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 am

Serena pulled out the parchment containing her notes and laid it off to the side for later. She thought about what the Professor wanted and she was glad that Keegan had answered the question more thoroughly. Now she would have a little something more to say. She quickly pulled out another parchment and scribbled her name in the corner along with her year and house.

Wolfsbane Potion

The Wolfsbane Potion is a very important potion because it alters a werewolf's mental change during the full moon. It allows the person to have a little more control over the werewolf then they are usually allowed. Instead of losing themselves to the wolf's animal instincts, they keep their own thoughts and feelings. This way they are safer to be around if something unexpected happens and they run into a human in their wolf state. I believe that it's the first potion of the year because there are werewolf's close by, if not students. It would be very beneficial to these people if we brewed the Wolfsbane Potion for them. That's why it's very important that Wolfsbane is brewed correctly, failure is not an option as the risk is to high.

Serena looked over her paragraph and was happy with what she had. She didn't seem to leave out any of the questions Professor Destan had asked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Sally pulled her notes out and a blank parchment for the paragraph writing her name and house down on it and went to writing the paragraph.

The Wolfsbane Potion,

The Wolfsbane Potion is an innovative and complex potion that relieves, but does not cure, the symptoms of lycanthropy. The main ingredient is wolfsbane (also referred to as aconite or monkshood). It was invented by Damocles in the recent past, most likely after the mid-1970s.If individuals affected with lycanthropy drink the potion prior to the full moon, only their bodies will transform into a wolf, rather than making the full transformation into a werewolf; they will retain control over their actions. It is a complicated recipe and must be drunk once per day in the week leading up to the full moon. The completed potion exudes a faint blue smoke, has a "disgusting" taste, and adding sugar will render it ineffective.

She finished her paragraph, a bit proud of what she knew on it. She placed it on top of her notes and waited for further instructions.
Back to top Go down
Keegan J. Blacknight
Adult
Adult
Keegan J. Blacknight

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Keegan felt Proud that he gotten Professor Destan question right about the potion. Keegan nodded and grabbed his notebook and wrote his name a top right corner as well as his year and house in his neat elegant writing.

The Wolfsbane Potion:
The Wolfsbane Potion is a very important potion for many reason; it will help those with affected with lycanthropy to drink it and become a wolf rather than making the full transformation into a werewolf; they will retain control over their actions. It also allows those with lycanthropy to have a more less painful transformation. The Wolfbane potion also allows people to become more safter around werewolves rather then be terrified of losing their lives. It would be very beneficalthat we brew this potion for safety of others as well as helping those with lycanthropy have a less painful transformation and more confident in themselves. I think brewing this potion will not only help those who have lycanthropy as well as keep us safe from harm but it will also help us gain knowledge in helping others.
Back to top Go down
Gwen Cooper
Ravenclaw Student
Ravenclaw Student
Gwen Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Gwen started writing;
Wolfsbane, also known as Monkswood (I think...) is a key ingridient to the Wolfsbane potion. Said potion is taken by Lycanthropsists (?) to ensure the retaining of a clearer mind when transformed.
Bulbus... Belbo...Dam... Damocles Belby invented it a very long time ago and it has since then been used for the purpouse I wrote above.
Though I miust add it doesnt cure Lycanthropy, the person in question is still a werewolf,
but it lessens the symptoms, for example the Werewolf still knows who he/she is and is not as aggressive or bloodthirsty as they would be without the Wolfsbane potion.
Back to top Go down
Aluin Destan
Potions Professor
Potions Professor
Aluin Destan

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:46 am

--LAST DAY OF LESSON 1--

"Welcome back to class everyone. Turn in your homework [[by Friday real time]] and get your cauldrons out." He said and then smirked, closing his eyes. "There are certain things I'm looking for today in your potion making. Seeing as this is my top class and you have to work to get in this class, including an O on your OWLS, I expect perfect if not better work from you all. This means I expect sweat. Just not in your potion." He said and then smiled

"So, you have 6 hours to do the following:
Finish Your Homework,
Finish Your Notes (You May Use Your Book, Borrow One From The Library If You Forgot Yours *hinthint*)
Take The Quiz I'll Post Soon
Answer My Random Questions [[So check back here to see if I've yelled out your name!]]
Make The Potion (You may have to do this a few times to get it right, it's very advanced)
Test Your Potion, Phial It, Put It On My Desk After Labeling It Your Name. [[That's right, everyone has to do each one individually!]]

Have fun." He said and turned the hourglass over.

[[Please note, not everyone will get the potions EXACTLY right. Everyone will have issues, or their potion will be discolored. I don't want perfect scores every time. I want really good ones though unless you're buggers at potions!]]
Back to top Go down
Serena Cole
Healer
Healer
Serena Cole

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am

Serena pulled out her notes to look over it once more before she started on brewing the potion. She also decided to add her paragraph on Wolfsbane Potion to it.

The Wolfsbane Potion is a very important potion because it alters a werewolf's mental change during the full moon. It allows the person to have a little more control over the werewolf then they are usually allowed. Instead of losing themselves to the wolf's animal instincts, they keep their own thoughts and feelings. This way they are safer to be around if something unexpected happens and they run into a human in their wolf state. I believe that it's the first potion of the year because there are werewolf's close by, if not students. It would be very beneficial to these people if we brewed the Wolfsbane Potion for them. That's why it's very important that Wolfsbane is brewed correctly, failure is not an option as the risk is to high.

The Wolfsbane Potion was created by Marcus Belby's uncle Damocles not that long ago. It had happened purely by accident as he was trying to find a cure for lycantropy, but instead found a way to weaken the effects. Many werewolves still don't use the potion or have access to it because it's such a difficult potion to brew. It can even take someone years to perfect their skill enough to be able to brew it regularly.

It uses a variety of ingredients, most are very unappealing to gather and use. The main ingredient of the Wolfsbane Potion is the Wolfsbane itself. Which needs to picked on the night of a full moon, so it can be quite dangerous if a werewolf finds you lurking about.

There wasn't more information she could add at the moment, maybe something would come to her later. She set it off to the side and checked her book for the ingredients she would need; handful of Wolfsbane, 1/4c goat milk, 1/4c rat parts, 3 sprigs spoiled peppermint, handful of black beetle parts, 5-6 cockroaches, and 1/4c water.

She scrunched her nose and the ingredients needed, but went to go gather them regardless. This was a very important potion and she didn't want to get anything wrong. She set the ingredients on her table and pulled out her cauldron and with a flick of her wand the fire started.

Serena followed the instructions, but as she got to the part where she had to add the black beetle part she had miscalculated the stirs. The potion hissed and started to smoke. Serena quickly waved her wand at the mix and it disappeared. "Darn," she mumbled as she left to grab the ingredients she had already used.

This time Serena was determined not to mess up. She was already disappointed that she had messed up on a fairly simple part. She poured the goat's milk and dropped in the Wolfsbane and the mix began to boil almost instantly. So she quickly dropped in two sprigs of peppermint and set the self-stirring to 300 stirs clockwise at a fast pace. She watched it closely and kept a count of how many stirs it did. When she got to 250 she started to drop bits of the black beetle parts in slowly.

The potion was a nice brown color so she didn't add the last of the beetle parts. She flicked her wand and the heat lowered to a simmer. She added the cockroaches in one a time in two minute intervals. The first cockroach hit the potion and small sparks flew off as it sank. It wasn't until the sixth cockroach that the sparks gave off a slight hissing noise.

Serena breathed a sigh of relief, so far so good. She poured in the water and rat parts and started to stir by hand. The book said that she needed to make sure there were chunks. So she stirred the potion clockwise until there were no solid parts in sight. She took a quick glance at the clock, she still had some time to finish.

She took the vial and ladled in some of the potion and she dropped the last sprig of spoiled peppermint into the vial. She labeled it with her name and year. Now all that was left was to test it out so she let a few drops onto her hand and for awhile nothing happened, but just as she was starting to celebrate a single hair grew. She groaned, but she was satisfied with how well she did.

Serena grabbed the vial and her notes and brought it up to Professor Destan, she placed them carefully on his desk. She returned to her desk to clean up the mess and she couldn't wait to get back to her dorm. She could spell the ingredients on her skin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-   Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED- I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potions Lesson 1 - Wolfsbane Potion -CLOSED-
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts: The Final Conclusion :: Classes-
Jump to: